As always, check with your doctor before taking anything, especially if you’re having surgery or pregnant. The following recommendations are for informational purposes and in no way should be adopted or applied unless discussed with your physician.
Supplement are serious business:
- Always, check with your doctor or other healthcare provider before taking any supplements: See a D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine)
- They may interfere with Surgeries, Medications, or other procedures. I.e. Fish oil, Gingko Biloba- inhibit Clotting.
- Grapefruit- Can endanger a person taking medication because it blocks the enzyme your body uses to break down the drug. In turn the body can reach toxic levels of the medication. Not just grapefruit, other citrus fruits like limes. The medication list is long but involves cholesterol meds, anti anxiety drugs, blood pressure meds and ones that fight infections to name a few.
- Be careful not to “Double Dip”- Extra accidently taken- i.e. two supplements have the same ingredient in them.
- Be sure to read labels for food and other allergies you may have.
- Be sure to follow the dosage instructions on the labels.
The supplements below are currently used by the medical community and have proven health benefits:
- Co Q10- Heart health, helps create energy. Usually taken if you are on statin drugs aka Cholesterol meds.
- Vitamin & Mineral- Food based, no “Mega formula’s”. Usually for pre-natal.
- Vitamin D3- Bones, immune system.
- Omega 3 (DHA / EPA) – Heart and inflammation, also thins the blood.
- Trans resveratrol – Knotweed and Red wine. Good for anti-aging.
- Turmeric | Curcumin- This is a CO2 inhibitor like ibuprofen for inflammation. It’s natural though and gives mustard it’s yellow color.
- Magnesium- Help to relax muscles and most Americans are deficient. A sublingual Magnesium Citrate version or Magnesium glycinate which doesn’t cause gastric distress.
- Probiotics- Heal intestinal dysbiosis as well as fermented foods (Immune system)
Below are some of the supplements I recommend. As always check with your physician before taking any supplements or following my recommendations.
I should also mention that there a wide variety of supplement brans out there. Quality and freshness are vitally important because they may lose their potency. The are two brands that Stand out to me. One is Garden of Life and the other is Pure Encapsulations.
Both are fresh and pure, however many people may have intolerances to many of the packaging or suspensions ingredients in most all supplements. Pure Encapsulations takes all those out and delivers a very hypo-allergenic product that is high quality and fresh. Garden of life is very similar and a very high-quality producer as well. There are other brands out there that are great products but I’m going to limit examples to these two brands for now. Below is a short list of my favorites.